Your personal guide Steve will lead you through the heart of this stunning ancient New Forest.
From Brockenhurst, we ride out towards the Rhinefield Ornamental Drive on gravel tracks. Our first stop is the Reptile Centre where we might see adders, frogs and other reptiles native to the New Forest. The Portuguese Fireplace is on this tour too which is the remains of a hutted camp used by a Portuguese army unit that aided the local labour force in producing timber during the First World War. Back on the gravel, we find ourselves in stunning parts of the New Forest with the tour going behind the Deer Sanctuary where we might see deer if we are lucky !
Out of the Forest and on to lanes that take us though to the small village of Burley, where a stop for a cappuccino and cake at Shappen Cafe may be required to “refuel”. Though the other side of the village, we drop down on to the old railway line and ride through open heathland. It is just a short ride back to Brockenhurst.
- This ride can be shortened if required.
- This tour starts in Brockenhurst and is possible to walk to if you are staying nearby, train station, regular Bluestar 6 bus route.
- We can also recommend bike hire from Cyclexperience in Brockenhurst.
- Elevation gain over the total ride: 1,125 ft
- Types of bike: Gravel, Mountain, Hybrids and E-bikes
We recommend bringing the following:
- Terrain: Forest gravel tracks and roads
- Warm Clothing Dependant on weather on the day - additional layers recommended
- Waterproofs Dependant on weather on the day - waterproof clothing recommended
- Food Refreshments for on-ride refuelling e.g. energy bars
Bikes must be in good safe and working order;
- Drink Sufficient water or energy drinks
puncture repair kit, spare inner tube & bike pump also required. Cycle helmets must be within the manufacturer's warranty period (3 years from the date of manufacture). More details on all the above will be sent after booking has been confirmed
- Fully Qualified Mountain Bike Leader – Level 2 Qualification Accredited Through British Cycling
- Approved Fully Qualified Outdoor First Aid
A riders information form will be sent by email once your booking has been made and will need to be completed and returned to us prior to the activity date.
- Public Liability Insurance Through British Cycling