2024 DATES for this EVENT; July 20th and September 14th Your personal guide Steve will lead you on The Historical Three: Salisbury, Stonehenge and Sarum cycle tour.
Our adventure begins on the outskirts of the medieval city of Salisbury. Shortly after starting our ride, we will stop at the Iron Age hillfort of Old Sarum, the original site of Salisbury and home to the earliest cathedral of Salisbury for a photo opportunity. From here, you can see over to modern day Salisbury and to Old Sarum airfield. Journeying into Salisbury, you will spot Salisbury Cathedral’s majestic spire standing at an impressive 123 metres in the distance. You will pass across the water meadows views of Salisbury Cathedral depicted in Constable’s famous painting to the Old Mill at Harnham, where you will pass over the old weir and if you are lucky catch the turquoise flash of a kingfisher by the river!
Heading out of Salisbury, the next port of call is Salisbury Racecourse along the old cattle drove. Here, you can expect sweeping views of the chalk downland and across the Cranborne Chase Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Shortly afterwards, you’ll expect your first descent into the pretty hamlet of Burcombe. We will travel along some country roads before climbing up towards Grovely Woods on the Wilton Estate. In late spring, you can expect to see carpets of bluebells adorning the woodland floor. Descend into Great Wishford, another beautiful Wiltshire village before beginning an ascent onto Salisbury Plain across byways.
We will make a pit stop for refreshments in some woodlands. Shortly afterwards, you will begin to see the iconic World Heritage Site of Stonehenge in the distance. We make a stop near to Stonehenge for a photo opportunity. Stand in awe of this magnificent Neolithic monument and soak up the fascinating history before beginning the return journey. Our journey back to Salisbury passes by ancient burial mounds as we descend into the Woodford Valley, briefly onto National Cycleway 45 passing Lake House, one of Sting’s abodes! Crossing the River Avon, we skirt along the edge of the river before a steep climb onto a ridgeway above the Woodford valley before we return towards Old Sarum and the Park & Ride site.
- Elevation gain over the total ride: 1,870 ft (600M) with some challenging climbs and descending
- Types of bike: Gravel, Mountain, and E-Mountain
Terrain: Roads, bridleways and byways including roots and loose stones
- Is this Ride For Me: You Will need reasonable fitness and be confident in mountain bike handling skills
We recommend bringing the following:
- Warm Clothing Dependant on weather on the day - additional layers recommended
- Waterproofs Dependant on weather on the day - waterproof clothing recommended
- Food Refreshments for on-ride refuelling e.g. energy bars
- Drink Sufficient water or energy drinks
Bikes must be in good safe and working order; puncture repair kit, spare inner tube & bike pump also required. Cycle helmets must be within the manufacturer's warranty period (3 years from the date of manufacture). More details on all the above will be sent after booking has been confirmed
- Fully Qualified Mountain Bike Leader – Level 2 Qualification Accredited Through British Cycling
- Approved Fully Qualified Outdoor First Aid
- Public Liability Insurance Through British Cycling
- A riders information form will be sent by email once your booking has been made and will need to be completed and returned to us prior to the activity date.