2000 years ago this was a frontier, a place where two cultures collided. Your guide can happily weave a narrative from both the Roman perspective and the native perspective, providing both viewpoints.
The Romans always intended to conquer Britain. Julius Caesar wrote about the riches of the British Isles... and also of giants and monsters. While Caesar made initial contact with the peoples of Britain, a full scale invasion would take another 90 years. Political turmoil in Rome was the catalyst for the new emperor, Claudius to bring his forces to the shores of Britain, changing the country forever.
On this Hadrians Wall guided tour, you will see a Milecastle, and one of the best preserved sections of the Vallum defence ditch. Cawfields also boasts some of the best views across the rugged moorland vistas of the Northumberland National Park.
Itinerary• A two hour guided tour, in English. Starting from Cawfields, Near Haltwhistle, Northumberland, click link for direction
• A leisurely walk along the slopes of the Whin Sill, a geographic feature which the Roman's used to their advantage
• Opportunities to view a Milecastle, exceptionally well-preserved parts of the wall & other archaeological features
• Distance: The tour takes place outdoors. There is room to accommodate easier access to tour sites, should you require. See the Leisurely Walk description. We offer lots of opportunities for rest and to enjoy the scenery.
• Leisurely Walk: A walk for reasonably fit people with a small amount of hiking experience, on rural paths. Walking boots and warm, waterproof clothing are recommended
• Times: The tour runs throughout the year. Start time is 10:00am and finish time around 12:00 noon. Booking is essential
• Car parking available at the start location £1 per hour
• Toilet facilities available at the start location
• Group and family discount available
• A half day and full tour is on offer for those with more time
• Tours in English
National Park Experiences is a curated collection that brings the stories of our National Parks to life. Each experience offers an authentic insight into the landscape and special qualities of a National Park.
This adventure is perfect for individuals and small groups, and can be tailored for:
- Charity fundraising
- Hen / Stag parties
- School groups
- Dog Friendly
Make this experience your own: Send Enquiry